One of the largest consumer products companies in the world (at the time +$8 billion in sales) was seeking growth from a division with several brands that were more than 50 years old and had long ago peaked in sales and market share. The Company was Warner Lambert/Pfizer, the brands included Halls, Trident, Dentyne and Rolaids.
Develop an integrated consumer and trade insights team to mine terabytes of consumer and trade sales and consumption data. Turn elements of that data into useable information. Use the information to inspire marketing and sales plans to drive profitable growth. Use those same integrated teams to spearhead alignment and plan execution in a division with more than 1200 sales and marketing colleagues.
In just 18 months’ time, the following results (among others) were achieved:
- A team of 60+ professionals was established from “scratch”
- $10 million in year 1 new sales were generated from Halls new products – sold in through an internally developed category management selling program and presentation
- $40 million in year 1 new products were created and sold in to the trade on Trident and Dentyne brands
- Millions of dollars in new promotional sales were created from improved Halls Brand promotional programs
- Record new retail market shares were achieved for the divisions largest brands of Halls and Dentyne
- Since initiation, new product sales sold in through these initiatives have easily exceeded $500 million
While these accomplishments were team efforts, Michael Roth led the creation of the integrated teams, the mining of the data, the planning and execution initiatives.